Recently I had the “pleasure” of upgrading from CMSMS 1.9.3 to 1.10.3.
- Downloaded the cmsmadesimple-1.10.3-full.tar.gz
- Unzipped it overwriting some of the existing files from the older version (1.9.3) [tar -xvf cmsmadesimple-1.10.3-full.tar.gz -C my_existing_site_installation_folder]
- Ran the upgrade script by opening http://my-site.com/install/upgrade.php
I was constantly getting stuck at step 3, it was complaining:
Fatal error: Call to undefined method cms_config :: save () in /install/lib/classes/CMSUpgradePage3.class.php on line 30
Digging around a little bit realized cms_config is no longer available.
Then tried downloading cmsmadesimple-220.127.116.11-full.tar.gz
Luckily this time I was able to go past step 3 without any problem.
So now I was on version 18.104.22.168, but I wanted to get to 1.10.3. So
- As per their advice, upgraded all my modules to the latest version
- Downloaded cmsmadesimple-1.10.3-full.tar.gz,
- Copied its contents
- Tried to run the upgrade script.
Everything went fine, it even updated my database scheme to version 35 successfully. But then when I hit continue on step 6, it was stuck there for ever. Eventually came back with Internal Error 500. Looking at the log file, all I could see is
“2012/07/28 06:28:35 [error] 23816#0: *3319000 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream”
Turns out that in 1.10, the CMSMS dev team broke a whole bunch of backward compatibility. In Step 6 of the upgrade, it tries to upgrade and install installed modules. But during this process it just conks out.
Then I tried to uninstall all my modules and run the upgrade script. Abra-kadabra the upgrade went just fine.
- Then I had to go in and install those modules again.
- Also had to update most of the modules to the latest version which is compatible with 1.10.
- And restore the data used by the modules.
Only had I known all of this, it could have saved me a few hours of my precious life.
P.S: Just when I finished all of this, I saw the CMSMS dev team released the latest stable version 1.11