For Freeset, I’ve always been in the quest of Simplest Thing that Could Possibly Work. In a previous post, I explained how we’ve embraced an ultra-light process (call it lean, if you like) to build their e-commerce site.
In that post, I’ve talked about our wish to create a Selenium test suite for regression testing. But it never got high enough on our priority list. (esp. coz we mostly have static content served from a CMS as of now).
While that is something I wanted to tackle, last night, when I was moving Industrial Logic and Industrial XP‘s site over to a new server hardware, I wanted some quick way to test if all the pages were correctly displayed after the move. This was important since we switched from Apache to Nginx. Nginx has slightly different way to handle secure pages, etc.
So I asked on Twitter, if anyone knew of a tool that could compare 2 deployments of the same website. Few people responding saying I could use curl/wget with diff recursively. That seemed like the simplest thing that could work for now. So this morning I wrote a script.
rm -Rf * && mkdir live && cd live && wget -rkp -l5 -q -np -nH http://freesetglobal.com && cd .. && mkdir dev && cd dev && wget -rkp -l5 -q -np -nH http://dev.freesetglobal.com && cd .. && for i in `grep -l dev.freesetglobal.com \`find ./dev -name '*'\`` ; do sed -e 's/dev.freesetglobal.com/freesetglobal.com/g' $i > $i.xx && mv $i.xx $i; done && diff -r -y --suppress-common-lines -w -I '^.*' dev live
I’m planning to use this script to do simple regression test of our Freeset site. We have a live and a dev environment. We make changes on dev and frequently sync it up with live. I’m thinking before we sync up, we can check if we’ve made the correct changes to the intended pages. If some other pages show up in this diff that we did not expect, it’s a good way to catch such issue before the sync.
Note: One could also use diff with -q option, if all they are interested to know is which pages changes. Also note that under Mac, the sed command’s -i (inline edit) option is broken. It simply does not work as explained. If you give sed -i -e …., it ends up creating backup files with -e extension. #fail.