I’m in Chicago attending the Agile 2009 conference. I’m getting really annoyed by how much energy is being wasted here:
- Everything (soda, water, lemonade) has a ton of ice in it. Just think of the amount of energy wasted having those coolers running 24/7.
- Central Air-conditioning: Every conference room, hall way, lobby is set at 60F (15.5c). You see people wearing full sleeves, pullovers, etc.
- Stair cases have been replaces with escalators everywhere.
- I have hot water in the taps 24 hrs a day
- People using treadmills instead of going out and jogging.
- The list can go on…
While the world is crying about Global Warming, Energy Crisis, and so on. Here I find energy being wasted wasting senselessly. I’m not sure if people don’t care or they are ignorant or they simply not aware of the implications.
P.S: I’m also annoyed by the amount of waste (plastic and paper) generated. The funny thing is, everywhere you have these different color dust-bins with recycle logo on it. But you’ll find people use 5 different plastic glasses if they want to drink 5 glasses of water. I don’t think they get the whole point.